Lockdown Diary #1

Lockdown 3.0

In the UK this week, we entered Lockdown again. For myself as a secondary school teaching assistant, I decided to go back to work, by day 2, I was in self isolation due to my work ‘bubble’ being exposed to COVID.

COVID is out there, and it is real.

It really saddens and sickens me when I see and hear at the conferences about people who don’t believe that COVID is out there and takes away lives daily. Today (8.1.21) over 1,300 lives were taken due to COVID. I don’t understand when you see pretty much every country has had to deal with this virus, that there are people out there believe that it is all a conspiracy!

I have to admit, when I decided to start this weekly Lockdown Diary post, I wasn’t sure what would come out from it. Maybe you’d like to know what the other lockdown’s were like for me? HA, I thought you would …. read on.

Lockdown 1.0

The previous lockdowns were especially hard for me. When the first one was announced back in March 2020, I was just about to go away for my birthday with my partner, Andrew, when I came down with some symptoms and was told to self-isolate. Luckily, I was living alone with just my pup and had just enough food to carry me over. The day before I was meant to come out of isolation, the UK went into it first lockdown. I was completely devastated. I was no where near my family, I couldn’t see them or Andrew, and was being told my work that I still had to go into work everyday. At this time, I was working as a Retirement Manager in a block of retirement flats. Within a month, we had our first and only COVID case in the building, but thankfully they made a full recovery and every one else was doing super well in health.

We had spent most of each day on video call to each other, growing more and more in love, tons of tears where shed on both sides. All of it was hard, don’t get me wrong, but one of the hardest parts was not knowing when we would see each other again. Each time the lockdown was being reviewed, everything was pushed back another couple of weeks. Watching the daily briefings became an obsession and a nightmare.

June 13th …

After 13 weeks without seeing Andrew, and the lockdown measures being eased, we were finally able to socially distance meet for a walk! But it was heart-breaking. After not seeing Andrew for all that time, the only thing I wanted to do was hold him in my arms, but that was not allowed. I know people who have said ‘who would know’, ‘why does it matter’, well folks, we have high social morals and will follow the guidance to the letter, no matter how hard it will be. Plus if anything happened to Andrew through my actions, because we didn’t follow the rules, I wouldn’t have been able to forgive myself.

The next social distance walk, I brought our boy (puppy), Bertie along with us, as we walked through Hythe, Kent to Folkestone, Kent and back. My god, the weather didn’t know what to do with itself! It was sunny one moment, and then raining the next, and then hot and cold, but I didn’t notice most of that. Throughout most the walk, I was taking in the way Andrew walked, how he got excited over seeing the beach, the way his hair had grown so much that he had boy band kinda look. You know, the usual stuff that we all take for granted.

June 20th …

With the Prime Minster announcing the ‘support bubbles’ where one single household can join with another household, Andrew and I got to finally hug each other. It was rather romantic, as Andrew travelled down to mine so that we could literally hug for the first time in three months, a minute past midnight when the new measures were in affect. Who knew lockdown could be romantic?!

From the experience of the lockdown, and the possibility of it happening again, Andrew and I knew we couldn’t spend that kind of time apart ever again. We knew that we wanted to move to the next stage of our relationship together so worked out a plan to move out and start looking for a new job. However, we had a small problem, I was provided a flat within the building that I worked in as apart of the job, and if I was going to look for another job, I needed to make sure we had somewhere to live before my notice period ended. Frustrating as it was, I found my new job (as the secondary school teaching assistant) and Andrew’s parents kindly agreed to let me move in until we could save up enough money for a deposit for a house. And here we still are, almost 6 months later.

But, I guess that is it for this week. I’ll let you know what I got up to at the end of next week! What has your lockdown’s been like? Did you start a new hobby? Read many books?

Until next week, be well, stay safe, and give yourself a hug from me 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s